Wednesday, November 25, 2015

I'm working. I swear.

Lest we all forget that I’m here to work, I should probably say something about this particular aspect of my stay in Havana. At the same time, since this is my travel blog and most of you who read it aren’t terribly interested in dusty archival finds, I’ll try to keep it brief. Really, I’m just trying to prove that I actually do work.

As previously noted, my research got off to a bit of a rocky start when it was confirmed that the IHC records are locked up for the next five to ten years. I spun my wheels for a bit, waiting for permisos, but I eventually got into the National Archive last Monday, with three full weeks left to accomplish something. At the rate I was moving, three weeks was sounding like very little time, especially since the National Archive doesn’t allow the use of cameras and I would have to type detailed notes on everything.

My first day at the archive was rough. I was suffering the resurgence of a cold that I thought I had kicked upon my arrival in Cuba. My already sensitive nose was irritated by the dust in the archive and dripped relentlessly the entire day. Having used up my supply of quality Kleenex during my first few days here, I was in bad shape. For the record, Cuban toilet paper is not something that should ever make contact with a person’s face. I toughed it out until 3 pm that day, before I finally went running for the comfort of my room, only to find that my nose dried up almost immediately upon exiting the research room.

The next day, armed with a heavy dose of cold meds and antihistamines, I made my way back for a second day. The drugs seemed to help my nose, but they couldn’t do anything to make my research productive. The fragments that I found at the National Archive were only of peripheral interest, and I began to feel like I was spinning wheels yet again as I waited to hear back from the archive that I expected to be the most productive for my work: the Foreign Ministry Archive (MINREX).

When I still hadn’t heard back from them by Wednesday, a full week after I dropped off my paperwork, I contacted MINREX only to find that my permiso had been ready after only a day, but I hadn’t received the message. Confident that I was finally going to accomplish something, I headed out for MINREX the next day. Today was going to be the day. Finally. I swear.

I arrived at MINREX and met with the lovely Damila Hechaverria Argudin. What followed was the single largest communication breakdown that I’ve experienced since I’ve been here. I brought my camera, as I had been told that I could use my camera as long as I transferred the photos to the archive as part of their efforts to digitize their collection. Or, at least that’s what I thought I was told. I’m no longer sure. Damila took me to her office, where she asked me if I had a USB drive with me. I thought it was for the purpose of transferring my photos and assured her that we could just connect my camera to her computer. She disagreed and undertook a massive project of moving files, which I interpreted as clearing off the flash drive for my use. It was a while before I realized that what she was actually doing was moving files onto the drive.

It took a disturbingly long time for me to figure out that all this time I had no idea what was going on. I wasn’t going to take photos. I wasn’t even going to look at a single sheet of paper. The documents were already digitized and she was transferring the entire collection onto the flash drive so that I could load them onto my computer. Twenty-three years worth of communication between the Cuban and Mexican foreign ministries was being handed over to me with almost zero effort. When I finally grasped what was happening, I couldn’t believe it. I kept asking Damila, “but what about the paper records?” I had to be missing something. She assured me that this was everything that had been declassified; that I was lucky to come at this time, because I didn’t need to spend weeks searching through dusty records. When I couldn’t get it through my head, she began to look at me like I’d grown a third eye.

After roughly two hours of transferring files, Damila sent me on my way—probably much to her relief. I made my way home, shaking my head all the way, still unable to believe what just happened. The most Cuban phrase I’ve learned since arriving here is nada es fácil—nothing is easy. After two weeks of waiting—waiting for permisos, waiting for the power to come back on, waiting for them to finish fumigating the archive—followed by days of turning up nothing at all, in the space of two hours I had everything that I came for without having to expend any more effort than catching a cab to Vedado.  

I took a cursory glance at the MINREX docs and realized that there was likely a wealth of information contained in the files. That said, I’d have ample time to sort through them upon my return. After my windfall, I decided that the remainder of my time would be best spent trying to dig up something, anything else at the National Archive. With every day that passes, however, I turn up nothing and find myself turning back to the MINREX files, wondering if my time would be better spent combing through the digital files in the comfort of the IHC’s air conditioned library.


This is where things stand today, as I sit here pondering my best course of action. I’m becoming convinced that my search at the National Archive is completely futile. With a week and a half remaining, I need to make the most of my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment