Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Sweetest Place on Earth

My apologies for the lack of posts in the last few days, but we arrived at our destination Monday evening and have been busy trying to get settled ever since. 

We've been staying in Harrisburg, PA, the nearest 'major' center (pop. 50,000) to Joe's new home base of Hershey. My last encounter with Harrisburg involved 3 hours spent waiting for a bus in a mall parking lot. (Okay, to be fair, two and a half of those were spent in the Starbucks across the street). Having taken some time to get to know the place over the last couple days, I've decided it's not so bad. The downtown is small, but nice enough, there is a beautiful stretch of enormous old houses along the Susquehanna River and a walking path to go with them. We've so far found delicious tacos, a great little Vietnamese place, and a Venezuelan Arepa restaurant downtown serving up some seriously tasty food, so I'm satisfied. Hershey itself doesn't have quite as much to offer, with a population of only around 12,000, but it's quaint and quiet and it's home to a chocolate-themed amusement park, which I'm sure I'll be visiting on my next trip. 

We spent most of Tuesday looking for accommodations in the Hershey area, and we found a great little apartment in Palmyra (about 10 minutes from the medical center). Last night we got word that it's ours (by 'ours' I mean Joe's) and we're hoping to be in by tomorrow night. I'll hopefully be spending the next couple days stocking up on essentials and filling the freezer before we head to Stony Brook on Monday to start our second hunt for housing, this time for me.

And so it seems, our adventure is almost done. This will most likely be my last post for this trip, with the exception of a couple videos that I may or may not get done. Hope you all enjoyed hearing about my little journey. I had a blast. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment